Updated August 2, 2021
In accordance with Ohio State’s updated policy released this afternoon, masks are now required for all attendees at Summer Sessions while indoors, regardless of their vaccination status. This includes entering the band center to pick up/put away an instrument or when using the restroom. Please be mindful and limit the amount of time you spend inside the band center.
All other elements of summer sessions remain unchanged. Outdoors, masks are not required for students who are vaccinated. Masks continue to be required outdoors for unvaccinated individuals when they cannot maintain physical distancing.
We are looking forward to our final two weeks of Summer Sessions with you, and we thank you for understanding and complying with Ohio State’s updated mask policy.
After a year off in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic, The Ohio State University Marching Band's Summer Sessions program will be returning to an in-person format in 2021. There will also be a virtual component for students unable to attend or uncomfortable with attending in person.
Students can register now with our online form here. Summer Sessions take place from 6:30-9 p.m. at Lincoln Tower Field south of Ohio Stadium.
The virtual component of 2021 Summer Sessions will be held on Google Classroom with students required to create a Gmail account for use. Students can fill out the registration form with a non-Gmail address but will need to create a Gmail account once Classroom sessions begin. Downloading the Google Classroom app (Apple Store, Google Play store) is recommended as well.
Our virtual component for 2021 is intended to supplement in-person instruction for those students who can be in Columbus while also providing marching and musical instruction for students who cannot. More information on the content of our Summer Sessions virtual component for 2021 will be forthcoming.
Summer Sessions are optional practices that take place in June, July, and August and help both prospective and returning candidates prepare for tryouts. Summer Sessions provide instruction in marching and music fundamentals in a fun, informal setting. They are open to all high school students, Ohio State students and students enrolled at a member college or university of the Higher Education Council of Columbus. A one-time advance registration is required for all students who wish to participate in Summer Sessions.
While a syllabus of fundamentals will be followed during the summer, missing a rehearsal will not put you behind. Squad leaders and veteran marching band members can help you with whatever fundamentals you may have missed. While Summer Sessions can be very beneficial in learning our fundamentals, we like to stress that attendance at Summer Sessions is not factored into the audition scoring process.
Summer Sessions will begin on June 8 and run from 6:30-9 p.m. at Lincoln Tower Field south of Ohio Stadium.
2021 Summer Session Schedule (subject to change)
June: 8, 10, 15, 17, 22, 24, 29
July: 1, 6*, 7*, 8*, 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, 28
August: 3*, 4*, 5*, 9, 10, 11
*Denotes Focus Weeks
June 8: In-place movements
June 10: Mark time drill, arm swing, 8-to-5
June 15: Flanks, flashes, step forward about face
June 17: Regular TTR, Box TTR
June 22: Backward marching, slide TTR
June 24: Lateral slides, horn slides, backward lateral slides
June 29: 6-to-5 marching, adjusted step
July 1: Up step turn, marching block
"Fight the Team" memorized
Week Five (focus week 1)
July 6-8: Review
Short "Beautiful Ohio" memorized (Begin at m. 13, take optional cut to m. 61)
July 13: Ramp entrance
July 15: Ramp review
"Buckeye Battle Cry" memorized
July 20: Sloopy
July 22: Obliqiues
"Hang on Sloopy" memorized
July 27: Step kicks, side steps, step sides, slow turns
July 28: Review common drill patterns
"I Wanna Go Back" memorized
Week Nine (focus week 2)
August 3-5: Review, on-the-lines, mock tryouts
"Down by the Ohio" memorized
Week Ten (focus week 3)
August 9-11: Review and mock tryouts
Two weeks of Summer Sessions will be designated as "Focus Weeks," which will provide a review of music and marching fundamentals covered to that point over three rehearsals. If you're an out-of-state student or simply unavailable to attend as many Summer Sessions as you'd like, these Focus Weeks are specifically designed to bring you up to speed over a short period of time. The first Focus Week will be July 6-8, and the second will be August 3-5. We unfortunately are not able to provide housing during Focus Weeks.
Instrument check-out is still being determined for Summer Sessions in 2021. Please check back for more information.
If you wish to park on campus while attending Summer Sessions, there are a few options. All on-campus parking requires payment. The Tuttle Park Place Garage is located across the street from the Band Center, and payment is collected when exiting the garage.
You may also park in the surface lots around Ohio Stadium. There are pay-by-plate machines that will allow you to pay for a certain amount of time, or you can use the Parkmobile app. If you use the app, please be sure to enter the correct zone number. The West Stadium Lot is 69344, the Northeast Stadium Lot is 69323, the Southeast Stadium Lot is 69331 and the Midtower Lot is 69322. Zone numbers are also posted by lot entrances.
If you plan on attending multiple sessions, you might want to consider getting a visitor permit or, if you are an Ohio State affiliate, a campus pass.
After 4 p.m., any campus pass holder (including West Campus passes) can park in a non-reserved central campus parking space in surface lots.
The Ohio State Marching and Athletic Bands is not responsible for any parking citations or fines incurred.
Don’t worry about being left behind! Our veteran marching band members will help get you caught up on the fundamentals taught throughout the summer. This summer, we are offering two Focus Weeks (July 6-8 and August 3-5) that each will provide a review of music and marching fundamentals, so you can catch up without having to attend sessions over multiple weeks. Our virtual Summer Sessions, returning in 2021, are also a tremendous opportunity to learn our marching and playing style from anywhere in the world. You can also upload a video of yourself marching to YouTube and our squad leaders will review it and give you feedback. Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how we can best help you.
As an incoming first-year student, you may attend Summer Sessions during your summer orientation! Check the schedule and see if there are any sessions during your time on campus. Often, students will schedule a Wednesday/Thursday orientation to be able to attend Summer Sessions on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
*This does not apply for 2021, as the university has moved to virtual orientation for students entering in Summer 2021 and Fall 2021.
Tryouts will be held on August 15-16, with Candidate Days on August 13-14 being required for all who have not been members of The Ohio State University Marching Band before. Tryout registration will open on June 1, 2021. Please check back for any updates to our tryout procedure in 2021.
- Drinking 8-12 ounces of water four hours before the beginning of practice, then again two hours before practice. During practice, drink fluids early and as often as thirst and common sense drive. Sports drinks might be helpful for heavy sweat situations.
- Eat healthy carbohydrates and foods with lean protein in the meals before practice (e.g. turkey sandwich on whole grain, quinoa with chicken, chicken marsala). Fruit is always a performance food for the carbs and electrolytes as you get closer to start time. Pretzels or similar low fat chips can help with fueling and hydration.
- Wear comfortable athletic clothing and good athletic shoes.
- Warm-up before marching by stretching.
- Be familiar with musical scales.
- Start becoming familiar with our school songs (Across the Field, Buckeye Battle Cry, etc.).
- Students attending Summer Sessions in person in 2021 will be expected to follow campus rules and regulations regarding mask-wearing and social distancing.
- Mask-wearing on the Ohio State campus is no longer required for outdoor activities if you are fully vaccinated, but vaccinated students are welcome to wear masks outdoors if they feel comfortable. Masks are still required for any indoor activity and for outdoor activity if you are not fully vaccinated. Students should brings masks if they will be in the band center at any time during a Summer Session.
- The marching band will be able to provide one special musician mask per student. Students can bring their own slitted mask as long as it covers their nose.
- Percussion students can wear protective masks of their choosing that cover their nose and mouth.
- Bell covers will not be required, but students can use them if they would like. Bell covers will also be available for purchase.
- Social distancing will be built into any marching formations practiced during summer sessions.
- We encourage all students to receive a COVID-19 vaccination when eligible.
To help you prepare for Summer Sessions and tryouts, see these links below to PDFs of sheet music. All prospective trumpet and trombone members audition on second part.
Music to be memorized for 2021 auditions includes Buckeye Battle Cry, Fight the Team (chorus/break/chorus only, not tag ending), Hang on Sloopy and Down by the Ohio.
Percussion (link to external site)