2018 Summer Session Schedule
June: 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, 28
July: 5, 10*, 11*, 12*, 17, 19, 24, 25, 31*
August: 1*, 2*, 6, 7, 8
*Denotes Focus Weeks
A one-time advance registration is required for all Summer Sessions participants.
Summer Sessions are optional practices that take place in June, July, and August and help both prospective and returning candidates prepare for tryouts. Summer Sessions provide instruction in marching and music fundamentals in a fun, informal setting. They are open to all high school students, Ohio State students and students enrolled at a member college or university of the Higher Education Council of Columbus.
While a syllabus of fundamentals will be followed during the summer, missing a rehearsal will not put you behind. Squad leaders and veteran marching band members can help you with whatever fundamentals you may have missed. While Summer Sessions can be very beneficial in learning our fundamentals, we like to stress that attending them does not give you an advantage in making the band.
All sessions are from 6:30-9 p.m. Instrument check-out is available at the Steinbrenner Band Center (between gates 10 and 12 of Ohio Stadium) beginning at 5:30 p.m. The drumline also holds sectionals from 5-6:30 p.m. before Summer Sessions.
The first four sessions (June 5, 7, 12 and 14) will begin inside the Steinbrenner Band Center. All subsequent sessions will begin outside at the Lincoln Tower Park practice field (1790 Cannon Dr.). In the event of inclement weather, please check this page and our social media accounts for information on any rehearsal changes.
Below is a detailed schedule outlining marching fundamentals to be covered at each session. Suggestions for music memorization are noted in bold.
- Tuesday, June 5 (meet at Steinbrenner Band Center): Posture, chair step, attention, at ease, instruments up/down, in-place movements
- Thursday, June 7 (meet at Steinbrenner Band Center): Mark time, mark time drill, 8-to-5, arm swing, halt kick down, begin marching and playing
- Tuesday, June 12 (meet at Steinbrenner Band Center): Flanks, flashes, backward marching, step-forward about faces
- Thursday, June 14 (meet at Steinbrenner Band Center): Regular to-the-rear (TTR), box TTR, slide TTR
- Tuesday, June 19 (begin meeting at Lincoln Tower Park field): Horn slides, lateral slides, backward lateral slides. Have Fight the Team memorized (chorus-break-chorus)
- Thursday, June 21: Review all fundamentals
- Tuesday, June 26: 6-to-5, adjusted step, up step turn. Have LONG Beautiful Ohio memorized (begin at measure 13 and play to end — NO cut at measure 29)
- Thursday, June 28: Obliques, hats-off, extended marching and playing block
- Tuesday, July 3: NO SUMMER SESSION
- Thursday, July 5: Ramp. Have entire Buckeye Battle Cry memorized
Focus Week / Week 6
- Tuesday, July 10: Extended music session, review all marching fundamentals, halftime concepts. Have Hang on Sloopy memorized
- Wednesday, July 11: Extended music session, review all marching fundamentals
- Thursday, July 12: Extended music session, review all marching fundamentals
- Tuesday, July 17: Step kicks, side-steps, step-sides, slow turns. Have Down by the O-HI-O memorized
- Thursday, July 19: Sloopy
- Tuesday, July 24: Review all fundamentals. Have I Wanna Go Back memorized
- Wednesday, July 25: Review all fundamentals
Focus Week / Week 9
- Tuesday, July 31: Extended music session, review all fundamentals, begin mock tryouts
- Wednesday, August 1: Extended music session, review all fundamentals, mock tryouts
- Thursday, August 2: Extended music session, review all fundamentals, mock tryouts
- Tuesday, August 6: Mock tryouts, review all fundamentals
- Wednesday, August 7: Mock tryouts, review all fundamentals
- Thursday, August 8: Mock tryouts, review all fundamentals
Two weeks of this year's Summer Sessions will be designated as "Focus Weeks," which will provide a review of music and marching fundamentals covered to that point over three rehearsals. If you're an out-of-state student or simply unavailable to attend as many Summer Sessions as you'd like, these Focus Weeks are specifically designed to bring you up to speed over a short period of time. The first Focus Week will be July 10-12, and the second will be July 31 through August 2. We unfortunately are not able to provide housing during Focus Weeks.
For those eligible to try out in August 2018: After agreeing to our instrument policies, brass players (except sousaphone players) can sign out an instrument (and mouthpiece if necessary) to keep through the end of tryouts. Due to high demand, sousaphone and percussion players can only check out instruments on a per-session basis against some form of collateral (e.g. state-issued identification, car keys); however, after attending four consecutive Summer Session rehearsals, they may check out an instrument via a bond card for the remainder of the summer through tryouts.
For those not eligible to try out in August 2018: High school students who are not eligible to try out in August can sign out an instrument and a mouthpiece on a per-session basis against some form of collateral (e.g. state-issued identification, car keys).
If you wish to park on campus while attending Summer Sessions, there are a few options. All on-campus parking requires payment. The Tuttle Park Place Garage is located across the street from the Band Center, and payment is collected when exiting the garage.
You may also park in the surface lots around Ohio Stadium. There are pay-by-plate machines that will allow you to pay for a certain amount of time, or you can use the Parkmobile app. If you use the app, please be sure to enter the correct zone number. The West Stadium Lot is 69344, the Northeast Stadium Lot is 69323, the Southeast Stadium Lot is 69331 and the Midtower Lot is 69322. Zone numbers are also posted by lot entrances.
If you plan on attending multiple sessions, you might want to consider getting a visitor permit or, if you are an Ohio State affiliate, a campus pass.
After 4 p.m., any campus pass holder (including West Campus passes) can park in a non-reserved central campus parking space in surface lots.
The Ohio State Marching and Athletic Bands is not responsible for any parking citations or fines incurred.
Don’t worry about being left behind! Our veteran marching band members will help get you caught up on the fundamentals taught throughout the summer. This summer, we are offering two Focus Weeks (July 10-12 and July 31-August 2) that each will provide a review of music and marching fundamentals, so you can catch up without having to attend sessions over multiple weeks. You can also upload a video of yourself marching to YouTube and our squad leaders will review it and give you feedback. Get in touch with us at email@example.com to let us know how we can best help you.
As an incoming freshman, you may attend Summer Sessions during your summer orientation! Check the schedule and see if there are any sessions during your time on campus.
- Drinking 8-12 ounces of water four hours before the beginning of practice, then again two hours before practice. During practice, drink fluids early and as often as thirst and common sense drive. Sports drinks might be helpful for heavy sweat situations.
- Eat healthy carbohydrates and foods with lean protein in the meals before practice (e.g. turkey sandwich on whole grain, quinoa with chicken, chicken marsala). Fruit is always a performance food for the carbs and electrolytes as you get closer to start time. Pretzels or similar low fat chips can help with fueling and hydration.
- Wear comfortable athletic clothing and good athletic shoes.
- Warm-up before marching by stretching.
- Be familiar with musical scales.
- Start becoming familiar with our school songs (Across the Field, Buckeye Battle Cry, etc.).