The Ohio State University Marching Band consists of 228 brass and percussion instrumentalists who must try out every year. The Marching Band meets during the autumn semester (beginning in August, prior to the start of classes), and it performs at all home football games, select away games, postseason games and other athletic and community events. Learn more about the tryout process for the Marching Band.
Interested in taking the next step toward becoming a member of TBDBITL?
- Attend Summer Sessions, our optional rehearsals for future OSUMB candidates.
- High school students entering grades 10-12 and 2017 graduates can attend our two-day Summer Clinic, designed for those interested in developing their skills in music and marching in the Ohio State style.
- High school juniors and seniors can attend Ohio State Bands Night in the spring to learn about opportunities for continuing with band at Ohio State.
- Woodwind players interested in learning a brass instrument (or anyone interested in pursuing a secondary instrument) can contact us for more information.
- Contact us to arrange a tour of the Steinbrenner Band Center and meet with band faculty and staff.
The Ohio State University Athletic Band consists of woodwind, brass and percussion instrumentalists. The band is open to all with no required audition, except for the subset of the ensemble that performs at men’s basketball games during the spring semester. The Athletic Band meets during both autumn and spring semesters, and its members perform at a variety of athletic events, including men’s and women’s basketball, men’s ice hockey and men’s volleyball. It also performs at football’s annual Spring Game, during which it presents a full, marching halftime show. There are also ample opportunities in the Athletic Band for travel to postseason tournaments.
Concert and Jazz Bands
Outside of the Marching and Athletic Bands program, there are myriad ensemble opportunities elsewhere in the School of Music, both auditioned and non-auditioned. Learn more about concert and jazz ensembles at Ohio State.